Orange Spice Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large oranges
- Dried cranberries or cherries
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Topping: Melt the butter in a 9-inch cake pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover the melted butter with the brown sugar.
- Peel the oranges and slice them about -inch thick. Remove the white pith in the
center of each slice and remove any pits. Arrange the slices, cutting some into
smaller shapes if desired, in decorative fashion on top of the sugar.
- Put the dried cranberries or cherries in the center of each slice.
- Sprinkle with orange rind.
- Batter: Cream the vegetable shortening and molasses in the bowl of an electric
mixer set on medium speed.
- Add the egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt,
nutmeg, ginger and buttermilk. Beat the ingredients 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down
the sides of the bowl occasionally, until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon the batter over the fruit.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center
comes out clean.
- Invert immediately onto a serving plate but do not remove the pan.
Let stand 8 to 10 minutes, remove pan and let cake cool completely.
Yield: 8 servings