Peach Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 to 9 canned peach halves, drained and syrup reserved
- 6 to 9 maraschino cherries
- 3 eggs, separated (beat the whites until stiff, but not dry)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup syrup from canned peaches
- Heat oven to 360 degrees F.
- Topping: In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together over low
- Arrange the peach halves, cut side down, on the bottom of an ungreased 8-inch
square pan, and place a cherry in the center of each peach.
- Cover with brown sugar.
- Batter: Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Beat the egg yolks well.
- Gradually add the sugar. Beat until blended.
- Mix and sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with peach syrup to batter, mixing
thoroughly after each addition.
- With a spatula, gently fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour batter over fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until center springs back when pressed lightly.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Turn onto a plate, fruit side up, to cool.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings