Pineapple Pecan Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pineapple slices, undrained
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup juice (set juice aside).
- Arrange pineapple slices
over brown sugar, placing a half pecan in center of each pineapple slice.
- Beat egg yolk until thick; add sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in reserved pineapple juice.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks; fold in flour mixture.
- Spoon batter over pineapples.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.