Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 slices pineapple in juice (from 14-ounce can), drained
- 9 maraschino cherries without stems, if desired
- 1 1/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 9-inch square pan, melt butter in oven.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
- Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar.
- Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30
seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan
over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over
cake; remove pan.
- Serve warm.
- Store cake loosely covered.
Prep time 15 Min | Total time 1 Hr 10 Min | Servings 9
A dollop of whipped cream is a welcome addition to this classic cake.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 390 (Calories from
Fat 125), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat ncg), Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium
270mg; Total Carbohydrate 62g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars ncg), Protein 4g
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 2 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.