Skillet Chocolate Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices
- 4 maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 2 (9 ounce) packages chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted (optional)
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar until well blended.
- Remove skillet from heat; cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple slices; reserve juice in small bowl.
- Arrange 8 pineapple slices over sugar mixture.
- Place a cherry half in the center of each pineapple slice.
- Add enough water to pineapple juice to measure 1 cup.
- Combine cake mix, cinnamon, liquid, eggs and extract. Whisk until well blended.
- Gently pour over fruit in skillet.
- Place cover on top of skillet. Place skillet over medium heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes
or until batter bubbles around edges of skillet.
- Reduce temperature to low. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove skillet from heat. Carefully loosen edge of cake; invert onto heat-safe serving plate. Cool
- If desired, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle with toasted coconut,
Yield: 10 servings
Nutrients per serving: (1 piece of cake, 1/4 cup of ice cream): Calories
70, Total Fat 13 g, Saturated Fat 7 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Carbohydrates 36 g, Protein
4 g, Sodium 200 mg, Fiber 1 g