Sour Cherry Upside-Down Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups pitted sour cherries
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the butter and almond extract in a small measuring cup and pour the mixture
into a 9-inch round cake pan. Tilt the pan to coat with the butter mixture.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon and almonds over the butter mixture.
- Arrange the cherries
in a single layer in the pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the shortening and 3/4 cup sugar, then beat in
the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda.
- In thirds, beat this mixture into the wet mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour the batter evenly over the cherries.
- Bake until the top of the cake is golden
brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes, then invert the cake onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Upside-Down Cake Recipes