Spiced Apple Upside-Down Cake
- 1 (14 ounce) jar spiced apple rings
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Drain apple rings, reserving 1 tablespoon syrup; set apple rings aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter; add brown sugar and reserved syrup.
- Spread evenly in a greased 8-inch round baking pan; sprinkle with almonds.
- Top with apple rings; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg, milk, vanilla extract and remaining butter.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Spoon over apple rings.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Let cool.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings