Stacked Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix without pudding
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Combine butter and brown sugar; spread evenly into 2 greased 9-inch round cake
- Arrange pineapple slices, cherries and pecans on top.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions.
- Pour batter into pans; bake at 350
degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
- Remove immediately from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Stack layers, pineapple side up, on serving plate.
- Spread warm caramel frosting on sides of cake.
- Caramel Frosting: Combine butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring
to a boil, stirring constantly; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add milk; return to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Add confectioners' sugar to mixture, beating until smooth.
Yield: one 2-layer cake
Source: Recipe by Mary Jo Angelo, Birmingham, Alabama - published in Southern
Living Magazine - September, 1986