Strawberry Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups strawberries, cut up
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add milk and flour alternately.
- Blend well and add eggs and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a 9 x 13-inch cake pan, melt butter and sprinkle one cup sugar over this.
- Spread strawberries evenly in pan and pour cake batter over them.
- Bake until brown and sides are crusty, about 30 to 40 minutes.