Upside Down Peach Cake
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh peaches
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground nutmeg or 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly wipe the bottom of an 8-inch square cake pan with vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the pan evenly with the brown sugar.
- Arrange the peaches in the pan in a tight pinwheel pattern.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg or ginger. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda
- Add the softened butter, buttermilk and vanilla extract; beat with an
electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the batter over the peaches, and bake for 50 minutes
to 1 hour, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.