Upside-Down Pineapple Yam Cake
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced pineapple rounds, reserve juice
- 8 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup walnut halves
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed or 1 medium fresh sweet potato
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups pineapple juice plus water to equal amount
- Place sweet potatoes* and water in microwave-safe dish, covered, and microwave for about 3 to 4 minutes until done. Drain and mash.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour butter into the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan and sprinkle with brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- Arrange the pineapple and cherry halves (cut side up) on top the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle with coconut and walnuts.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the cake mix, cinnamon, sweet potatoes, oil, eggs, egg whites, and water.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the pan, as not to disturb the fruit.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Invert onto a serving platter and allow it to cool before serving.
Yield: 24 squares
* Canned sweet potatoes are precooked.
Per serving: cal 188 (24% from fat); fat 5g; protein 2g; carb 34g; chol 18mg; sodium 170mg
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission