Tricia Nixon's Wedding Cake
Tricia Nixon's famous Wedding Cake is a pound cake. Those attending Trish Nixon's wedding "oohed and ahhed" over the wedding cake. The recipe was distributed and all across America people were trying this wonderful cake. It was disastrous - either lumpy, soupy or rock hard. Still the White House chef insisted the recipe worked.
- 1 pound sugar (2 3/4 cups)
- 1 pound butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cake flour (2 cups plus 1 tablespoon)
- Grated rind of two lemons
- 1 pinch salt
- 11 egg whites, unbeaten
- 1 pound cake flour (4 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/8 ounce baking powder (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 7 egg whites
- 7 ounces sugar (1 cup)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sifted confectioner's sugar
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Use a 12 x 2 round brown paper lined cake pan
with a 3-inch collar.
- Cake: Cream together sugar and sugar. Add flour, lemon rind and salt. Cream thoroughly.
- To creamed mixture, slowly add egg whites.
- Sift together one pound cake flour and baking powder. After sifting, slowly add
to the creamed mixture until batter is smooth.
- Beat remaining egg whites. Add the one cup sugar slowly to egg whites before
whites are completely stiff. Fold egg white/sugar mixture into the creamed mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour to
1 hour 10 minutes.
- Royal Icing: Put egg white in large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and
beat for 3 minutes using a perforated wooden spoon. Repeat until 1 1/2 cups of the
sugar are used. Then gradually add cream of tarter as mixture thickens. Continue
adding sugar by spoonsful, beating until frosting is stiff enough to spread. Spread
thinly with icing: when this has hardened, put on a thicker layer, having mixture
somewhat stiffer than the first coating.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.