Wedding Fruit Cake
This is the traditional dark rich fruit cake.
- 1 pound shortening
- 1 pound brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 12 egg yolks, well beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mace
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 pounds seeded raisins, cut in pieces
- 2 pounds sultana raisins
- 1 1/2 pounds candied citron, sliced thin and cut into strips
- 1 pound dried currants
- 1/4 cup chopped preserved lemon rind
- 1/2 cup chopped preserved orange rind
- 1 cup brandy
- 4 ounces chocolate melted (optional)
- 12 egg whites, beaten stiff
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- Line 4 large loaf pans with aluminum foil. Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Cream shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the brown sugar little by little.
Stir in molasses and egg yolks.
- Sift together 3 cups flour, cinnamon, allspice, mace and nutmeg. Add to the first
- Mix 1/3 cup flour, seeded raisins, sultana raisins, citron, currants, preserved
lemon rinds and orange rinds. Add to the batter. Add brandy and chocolate. Fold
in egg whites. Just before putting the batter in the pans, add the baking soda dissolved
in the water. Fill the pans and cover tops closely with aluminum foil. On the oven
bottom place several shallow pans filled with hot water to a depth of 1 inch. Set
the pans of fruit cake on the shelf above.
- Bake for 3 hours, remove the pans of water, and remove the aluminum foil from
the tops of the cakes.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours more to dry out the cakes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Wedding Cake Recipes