- 4 cups shredded dried hash brown potatoes
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat or sausage
- Assorted seasonings to taste
- 6 cups water
- Brown the meat in the bottom of a Dutch oven. Break up the meat as it cooks assuring
that all the pink (raw) meat is cooked.
- Add the water and soup mix, stirring to
mix well. Heat to boiling and simmer a few minutes.
- Add the dry potatoes and stir
to mix. Cover the pot and move to the edge of the fire for about 10 minutes to allow
the potatoes to swell up.
- Move the pot back on the heat and stir while cooking the
potatoes. Cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Seasonings may be added with the potatoes to taste. Hot peppers, chili powder,
basil and Italian seasonings are good. The meat may be hamburger, sausage, Italian