- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 firm tomato, optional
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- When fire is ready for cooking, Fry bacon until crisp
in cast iron skillet.
- Remove bacon and fry potatoes (unpeeled and chopped)
in bacon grease until tender; throw in chopped onion and chopped pepper. When onion appears
cooked, reduce heat by moving pan to side of fire or turning down camp stove burner.
- Whisk eggs until fluffy, then pour them into skillet;
cover about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Place sliced tomato, cheese (grated or
chopped fine) and crumbled bacon on top. Cover again and cook 3-4 minutes, until
cheese melts and tomatoes are "smiling."
- Remove from fire, slice in wedges and serve.
- Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Camp Cooking: 100 Years by the National Museum of Forest Service
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.