- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 firm tomato, optional
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- When fire is ready for cooking, Fry bacon until crisp in cast iron skillet.
bacon and fry potatoes (unpeeled and chopped) in bacon grease until tender; throw
in chopped onion and chopped pepper. When onion appears cooked, reduce heat by moving
pan to side of fire or turning down camp stove burner.
- Whisk eggs until fluffy, then pour them into skillet; cover about 3-5 minutes,
stirring occasionally to avoid scorching.
- Place sliced tomato, cheese (grated or
chopped fine) and crumbled bacon on top. Cover again and cook 3-4 minutes, until
cheese melts and tomatoes are "smiling."
- Remove from fire, slice in wedges
- Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Camp Cooking: 100 Years by the National Museum of Forest Service