A hike in the woods warrants a great-tasting sandwich with outdoor flavor!
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces)
- 12 thin
slices salami or pepperoni (2 ounces)
- Additional pizza sauce, if desired
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Spread butter on 1 side of 2 slices
of bread. Place 1 slice, butter side out, on sandwich press. Spoon 2 tablespoons
of the pizza sauce onto center of bread. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese;
top with 3 slices of the salami. Top with other bread slice, butter side out.
Close press; trim excess bread if necessary.
- Grill over campfire or on grill 4 to 6 inches from medium heat 8 to 10 minutes,
turning once, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm with additional pizza sauce.
Prep: 10 mins
Total: 20 mins
Total time will vary; cook or bake time is per batch.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 500 (Calories from Fat 295 ); Total Fat 33 g (Saturated
Fat 17g); Cholesterol 90mg; Sodium 1120mg; Total Carbohydrate 28g (Dietary Fiber
2g); Protein 23g
Daily Values: Vitamin A 18%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 50%; Iron 14%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 2 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 2 Fat
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Reprinted with permission from