Chewy Walnut Trail Bars
Baked ahead of time, these nutrition-packed walnut trail bars are the perfect snack for long trips, hikes or even work commutes.
- 3 cups oats, old fashioned, rolled
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, light, packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cherries or cranberries, dried
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup apricots, dried
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup honey
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In bowl, whisk together oats, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in walnuts, cherries, chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, coconut and sesame seeds; set aside.
- In food processor, process apricots until broken up, about 1 minute. Add butter, process until a paste forms, about 1 minute. With motor running, pour in honey until well blended. Fold into oat mixture until well combined. Pat evenly into a parchment-lined 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Bake in the center of oven until golden, about 30 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Cut into bars (2 x 12 rows or 8 x 3 rows).
Cook: 30 min | Prep: 15 min | Serves: 24
Nutrition Information: 230 Calories Fat 13g Saturated Fat 5g Monounsaturated Fat 3g Polyunsaturated Fat 4g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 60mg Carbohydrates 26g Dietary Fiber 3g Protein 4g
Recipe and photo used with permission from: