Dutch Oven Fried Apples
- Vegetable oil or shortening
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1 (20 ounce) can sliced apples
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- Put about 1 inch of oil in Dutch oven and place over coals.
- Put butter in small pan and place near fire to melt.
- Open can of sliced apples and put apples in one bowl, draining the liquid.
- Break egg into other bowl and add flour, milk, sugar and melted butter.
- When shortening in Dutch oven is hot, put a few pieces of apple in the batter
and coat completely with batter. Use the small fork and lift one piece out. Turn over once. If it browns in 2 minutes,
shortening is hot enough. Use large cooking fork to turn over and to remove from shortening. Continue the process with from
6 to 10 slices of apple in Dutch oven at any one time. Increase number of coals under oven if it takes 1 minute.
- When you take apple slices out of Dutch oven, put on paper towel to absorb surplus shortening.
- Let cool for 3 to 4 minutes, then dust with confectioners' sugar.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.