Oatmeal-Peanut Butter Trail Bars
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup natural-style smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup firmly
packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or almonds
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the peanut butter, sugar, and honey in a large mixing bowl with an electric
mixer until blended.
- Blend egg and egg whites with a fork in a small bowl. Add to the peanut butter
mixture, along with oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Add reserved flour mixture
and mix with a rubber spatula.
- Mix in oats, dried cranberries (or raisins), walnuts
(or almonds) and chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into the prepared baking dish.
a piece of plastic wrap to spread batter into an even layer.
- Bake the bars until lightly browned and firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool completely in the pan on a rack before cutting into 24 bars.
Yield: 24 bars
Per serving (one 2 x 2-inch bar): 175 cal, 8 g fat (1 g sat), 24 g carbs,
4 g protein, 2 g fiber, 9 mg chol, 68 mg sodium