Pan de Campo
Flat bread traditionally made in a Dutch oven over a mesquite fire. This dates
back to trail driving days, and is sometimes called Cowboy Bread or Panochitas.
- 8 cups unbleached flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- In a bowl add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add the vegetable oil to flour mixture. Add milk 1 cup at a time. Dough should
be a little sticky.
- Dust a bread board or counter and begin to knead the dough. Form 4 round rolls.
Roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick and place on an ungreased baking
- Heat oven to about 400 degrees F.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Pan de Campo should be golden brown.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.