Pan de Campo
Flat bread traditionally made in a Dutch oven over a mesquite fire. This dates
back to trail driving days, and is sometimes called Cowboy Bread or Panochitas.
- 8 cups unbleached flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups corn oil
- In a bowl add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add the vegetable oil to flour mixture. Add milk 1 cup at a time. Dough should
be a little sticky.
- Dust a bread board or counter and begin to knead the dough. Form 4 round rolls.
Roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick and place on an ungreased baking
- Heat oven to about 400 degrees F.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Pan de Campo should be golden brown.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Camping and Hiking Recipes