Peachy Dutch Oven French Toast
- 1 dozen eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread, sliced
- 1/2 pound butter or margarine
- 1 pound brown sugar
- 3 (16 ounce) cans peaches, drained and quartered
- Heat a large Dutch oven by covering it with coals for 15 minutes.
- Beat the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Slice the bread and let it soak in the egg mixture.
- Remove preheated oven from coals and melt butter in the bottom.
- Add brown sugar and mix well with butter until caramelized.
- Put the drained peaches over the caramelized sugar.
- Place the egg/bread mixture on top of the peaches, cover with lid and return the Dutch oven to the coals.
- Bake for 45 minutes at about 350 degrees F (medium hot coals. Cooking time is shorter if the temperature is higher, but watch the edges so they don't burn).
- For the first 10 minutes, use coals only on the bottom. Then add coals to the oven top and continue baking until done.
- With the caramel topping, you probably won't even need syrup.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.