This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
A time-honored Scouting recipe that is easy to make.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans mixed vegetables (save liquid)
- 2 cans potatoes (drain off liquid and discard)
- 1 packet stew seasoning mix
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- Sliced fresh mushrooms
- Additional vegetables, such as beans, corn
- Heat Dutch oven on fire, add small amount of cooking oil, and brown
ground beef. Drain grease.
- Stir in stew seasoning mix, add a bit of water, and cook for 5 to
- Add vegetables with liquid.
- Chop potatoes into small chunks and add to stew.
Add small quantity of water if need to cover contents.
- Place oven on bed of charcoal - 8 to 10 briquettes (more in winter) on aluminum
foil, shiny side up.
- Cover with lid and put 2 to 3 times as many coals on top. Cook about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Cook until potatoes are tender and stew is bubbly
and hot through - 15 to 20 minutes depending upon heat level, stirring occasionally.
Serves 6 to 8 scouts.