Roast in the Coals
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) sirloin tip roast
- 1 (6 ounce) jar prepared mustard
- 1 cup salt
- Prepare campfire so you have a good bed of hot embers. You should have a large,
wide fire so the coals can be raked up as needed.
- Smear meat with mustard and pat salt into mustard until it can hold no more.
- Lay roast in coals, raking embers around it. Turn roast after 45 minutes.
another 45 minutes for rare (140 degrees F), 60 minutes for medium (160 degrees
F) and 75 minutes for well done (170 degrees F) on meat thermometer.
- Remove from
coals and knock off black crust.
Source: Cooking Down the Road by Joan Prins