- 1 can shrimp
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 cup dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white
- 1/2 tomato juice drink box
- 1/2 cup dehydrated celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black
- 1/2 teaspoon file powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup converted white rice
- Soak beans in water in sealed container (spare Nalgene bottle works well) for
- Combine black beans and tomatoes in wine and tomato juice.
- Lightly grease frying pan with oil and cook celery, minced garlic, chopped onion,
hot pepper flakes, black pepper and file powder over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato juice mixture. Cook and stir until mixture thickens (approximately
- Add shrimp; cook another 3-5 minutes.
- In another pan, cook rice in 2 cups boiling water and add sauce.
Source: Adapted from The Happy Camper: An Essential Guide to Life Outdoors
by Kevin Callan