This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Chocolate Candy Bar Meringues
These cookies will satisfy any sweet tooth or chocolate craving. They are filled
with chocolate candy bar flavor and very little fat, so choose any favorites to
use in this recipe.
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 3 to 4)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces chocolate-covered candy bars, cut into small pieces (about 3/4 to 1 cup)
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- In small bowl, sift together cocoa powder, confectioners' sugar, and cornstarch.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites at medium speed until soft peaks are formed. Gradually
add sugar and continue beating until whites are stiff and glossy and sugar is dissolved,
about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well. Gently fold in cocoa mixture
and candy pieces.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets,
and bake for about 1 hour or until almost firm to touch.
- Reverse position of pans after 30 minutes to ensure even baking. (For chewier
insides, cook 10 to 15 minutes less.)
- Cool cookies completely before removing from
baking sheet, and store in airtight container.
Makes 24 cookies.
Nutrition information per cookie (using chocolate-covered candy bars with
nougat and caramel center): 49 calories, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 1 gram total
fat, 1 gram saturated fat
Source: The American Dietetic Association/National Center for Nutrition and Dietetics