Chocolates with Jelly Centers
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatine
- 1 cup pineapple
juice or water
- Juice and finely grated peel of 1 lemon
- Juice and finely grated
peel of 1 orange
- 1 drop red food color
- 4 drops yellow food color
- 1 cup
finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Chocolate for dipping
- Combine sugar and gelatine in a heavy 2-quart saucepan; mix well.
- Heat pineapple juice to a boil. Add to gelatin-sugar mixture and stir until gelatin
is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer steadily for 20 minutes. Remove
from heat and add lemon and orange juices and peel. Stir in food color and nuts.
Let stand a few minutes, then strain into two buttered 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans.
Candy should be from 1/2 to 1 inch thick in pans.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours
or until firm.
- An hour before you are ready to dip jellied boiled candy recipes, remove it from
refrigerator to a cool room (55-60 degrees F). Cut into pieces about 1 1/4 x 1 inch.
Place on wax paper dusted with cornstarch.
- Dip into chocolate.
Makes 72 pieces.
Source: Farm Journal Candy Book