Chocolates with Jelly Centers
Yield: 72 pieces
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatine
- 1 cup pineapple juice or water
- Juice and finely grated peel of 1 lemon
- Juice and finely grated peel of 1 orange
- 1 drop red food color
- 4 drops yellow food color
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
- Chocolate for dipping
- Combine sugar and gelatine in a heavy 2 quart saucepan; mix well.
- Heat pineapple juice to a boil. Add to gelatine-sugar mixture and stir until gelatine is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer steadily for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add lemon and orange juices and peel. Stir in food color and nuts.
Let stand a few minutes, then strain into two buttered 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans. Candy should be from 1/2 to 1 inch thick in pans.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or until firm.
- An hour before you are ready to dip jellied boiled candy recipes, remove it from refrigerator to a cool room (55 to 60 degrees F). Cut into pieces about 1 1/4 x 1 inch. Place on wax paper dusted with cornstarch.
- Dip into chocolate.
Source: Farm Journal Candy Book