Ginger-Orange Turkish Delight
- 2 1/2 ounces plain gelatine
- 20 ounces water
- 1 1/2 pounds granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 ounce finely pounded crystallized orange peel
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 pound confectioners' sugar
- Put the gelatin in a saucepan with water and dissolve it over low heat, stirring
constantly. Add sugar and stir until melted. Add ginger and orange peel. Continue
stirring and boil briskly for 10 to 15 minutes. The syrup should be clear and aromatic.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice and pour into a wet 8-inch square pan.
- Let sit for 24 hours.
- Turn out onto a board heavily dusted with confectioners' sugar. Sift more
sugar over the top; cut into chunks with a very sharp knife.
- Roll the pieces in
lots of confectioners' sugar and then pack into airtight tins with a generous
amount of confectioners' sugar.
Cinnamon-Rose Turkish Delight: Follow the previous, substituting 1 heaping
tablespoon of fresh, strong cinnamon for the ginger and orange peel, and use 1 teaspoon
of rose water and a few drops of red food coloring in place of the lemon juice.