- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- Ggranulated sugar (for coating)
- Food coloring and flavoring*
- Stir the sugar and syrup together in a 2 quart saucepan.
- In another 2 quart saucepan, mix together the pectin, baking soda and water; the mixture will foam. Place both of the pans over high heat. Cook both mixtures, stirring them simultaneously, until the foam thins in the pectin mixture and the sugar mixture comes to a rapid boil; this should take 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the pectin mixture in a slow, thin stream into the boiling sugar mixture; stir continuously as you pour, and take 1 full minute to make the transfer. Cook and stir the mixture for 1 more minute. Remove it from the heat, and stir in flavoring and coloring.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered loaf pan. Let the candy stand at room temperature until cool and firm, about 4 hours.
- Cut the candy into squares, and roll them in sugar. Store the candy at room temperature in a loosely covered container.
* Food coloring and flavoring
Cherry - 1 teaspoon cherry extract, 7 drops red food coloring
Peppermint - 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, 7 drops green food coloring
Spearmint - 1 teaspoon spearmint extract, 7 drops green food coloring
Orange - 2 teaspoons orange extract, 1 drop red food coloring
Lemon - 2 teaspoons lemon extract, 10 drops yellow food coloring