- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup water
- Granulated sugar (for
- Food coloring and flavoring*
- Stir the sugar and syrup together in a 2-quart saucepan.
- In another 2-quart saucepan, mix together the pectin, baking soda and water;
the mixture will foam. Place both of the pans over high heat. Cook both mixtures,
stirring them simultaneously, until the foam thins in the pectin mixture and the
sugar mixture comes to a rapid boil; this should take 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour the pectin mixture in a slow, thin stream into the boiling sugar mixture;
stir continuously as you pour, and take 1 full minute to make the transfer. Cook
and stir the mixture for 1 more minute. Remove it from the heat, and stir in flavoring
- Pour the mixture into a buttered loaf pan. Let the candy stand at room temperature
until cool and firm, about 4 hours.
- Cut the candy into squares, and roll them in sugar. Store the candy at room temperature
in a loosely covered container.
* Food coloring and flavoring:
Cherry - 1 teaspoon cherry extract, 7 drops
red food coloring
Peppermint - 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, 7 drops green food
Spearmint - 1 teaspoon spearmint extract, 7 drops green food coloring
Orange - 2 teaspoons orange extract, 1 drop red food coloring
Lemon - 2 teaspoons
lemon extract, 10 drops yellow food coloring