- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/8 pound butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 drops oil of peppermint (or any flavoring you'd rather use)
- Food coloring if desired
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a heavy bottom saucepan. Slightly reduce heat
and continue to boil till syrup forms hard ball on candy thermometer (approximately
262 degrees F). DO NOT STIR.
- Pour onto cold marble slab (or other hard, cold, non-porous
surface) and add peppermint oil and coloring.
- Butter your fingers and begin to pull
before mixture cools. Pull until crust begins to form - takes a bit of practice
- Twist into rope and cut with scissors.
- Allow to cool on slab.
- Pack into tins. Candy will cream in a day or two.