Surprise Sweet Potato Candy
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup raw grated sweet potatoes
- 2 cups small marshmallows
- 1 cup Graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan combine sugar, margarine, and milk and cook over medium heat,
stirring frequently, until mixture boils.
- Add sweet potatoes. While stirring, continue to boil until mixture reaches soft-ball
stage (235 degrees F on a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and add marshmallows
and Graham cracker crumbs. Stir until marshmallows are melted and well blended.
- Add vanilla extract and pecans, mixing well.
- Pour into a buttered or wax-paper lined 9-inch square baking dish.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Source: Texas Country Reporter Cookbook