Buttery Pecan Caramels
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups Half-and-Half, divided
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup real sweet cream butter
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 64 pecan halves
- In a heavy 4 quart saucepan combine sugar, 1 cup of the Half-and-Half, corn syrup and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil (7 to 8 minutes).
- Add remaining 1 cup Half-and-Half; continue cooking, stirring often, until small amount of mixture dropped into ice water forms a firm ball or candy thermometer reaches 245 degrees F (35 to 40 minutes).
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square pan. Cover; refrigerate for 1 to 1 l/2 hours.
- Cut into 64 pieces.
- Drop 1/4 teaspoon melted chocolate on top of each caramel; press pecan half into chocolate.
- Store refrigerated.