As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light Karo Syrup
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, Karo, coffee and orange
peel. Carefully clip thermometer into mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring frequently, until it reaches 248
degrees F (firm ball stage). Reaching firm ball stage should take 15 to 20 minutes,
boiling at a moderate, steady rate.
- Remove from heat, remove thermometer.
- Immediately stir in walnuts and vanilla extract.
- Quickly pour into a foil-lined, buttered 8-inch square baking pan.
- When caramel is firm, use foil to lift from the pan.
- Use a buttered knife to cut into 3/4 to 1-inch squares.
- Wrap in clear plastic wrap.
Makes about 100 (3/4-inch) squares or about 3 pounds.
Posted by JBic at Recipe Goldmine May 3, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Caramel Recipes