Chocolate Pecan Caramels
Yield: about 2 1/2 pounds (about 6 3/4 dozen)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, softened, divided (NO SUBSTITUTES)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup (6 ounce) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with foil; butter the foil with the 1 tablespoon butter.
- Sprinkle with pecans and chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter.
- Add brown sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees F (firm ball stage).
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan).
- Cool completely before cutting.