Cocoa Caramels are elegant, delicious and incredibly easy to make.
Yield: 144 pieces
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Challenge European Style Butter (salted)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/3 cups (14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare a 9 inch square pan by lightly buttering it or lining with parchment paper.
- In a heavy 2 to 3 quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar, cocoa powder, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat stirring frequently to prevent scorching until the temperature of the mixture reaches 248 degrees F (firm ball stage).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- When cool, turn candy out of pan and cut into 3/4 inch squares.
- Wrap individual pieces in 2 3/4 to 3 inch squares of nonstick aluminum foil or waxed paper.
- Store in an airtight container.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Source: Challenge Home Economist