- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine cocoa, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a heavy 3 quart saucepan.
- Add evaporated milk and water; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture forms a firm ball in cold water, or registers 245 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat; drop in butter and vanilla extract, stirring to completely blend in butter.
- Pour into buttered 9 inch square pan; let cool.
- Cut into squares, and wrap in wax paper.