As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter ( no substitutes)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon anise (licorice) extract
- Black paste food coloring
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 234 degrees
F on a candy thermometer. (This will take approximately 15 to 20 minutes.) Mixture
will turn from a pale yellow color to a golden brown.
- Stir in anise extract and enough black food coloring to make the caramel
a dark black.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 9 x 13-inch pan and let cool.
- Cut into small squares and wrap each piece in wax paper.
Yields 75 to 100 pieces.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Caramel Recipes