Sea Salted Caramels
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Butter the sides and bottom of a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Add butter and
melt over low heat.
- Add sugars, corn syrups and cream; mix well.
- Raise heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil until mixture reaches 248 degrees
F (use candy thermometer).
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour caramel immediately into a 9-inch square pan lined with buttered foil.
- Cool at room temperature until caramel begins to set, sprinkle with sea
salt; cool completely.
- Use foil to lift caramel out of pan. Butter a large chef’s knife and cut
caramel into 1-inch squares.
- Wrap caramels individually in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container
in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Yield: 3 dozen
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.