- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Heat milk and set aside.
- Cook syrup, sugar and salt in a heavy 3 quart pan for 10 minutes.
- Add butter and cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in hot milk slowly so mixture doesn't stop boiling. Cook and stir often until it reaches firm ball stage (use a candy thermometer).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, almond extract and nuts.
- Pour into a buttered 9 inch Pyrex pie plate.
- When cold, cut into squares and wrap in wax paper.