- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus more for sprinkling
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large, heavy-bottom saucepan, combine carrots and 1/2 cup water. Bring to
a simmer over low heat; cover and cook slowly until soft, about 30 minutes.
- With a potato masher, mash the carrots and any remaining liquid. Stir in sugar,
orange juice and lemon juice. Return to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring
constantly, until a thick paste forms, 50 to 60 minutes. Stir in ginger and cinnamon.
Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Sprinkle a small cutting board and rolling pin with water. Turn carrot mixture
onto the board and roll into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Sprinkle generously with
sugar. Let stand, covered with cheesecloth or a towel, for one day, until the top
- Cut into 1-inch wide strips. Turn and sprinkle the other side of the strips generously
with sugar. Let stand, covered with cheesecloth or a towel, for another day.
- Turn the strips daily, until the candy is dry, up to 4 days. After the strips
feel crisp, cut into 1-inch squares. Sprinkle again with sugar. (Store in an airtight
container for up to 1 month.)
Yields about 30 candies.
Nutritional information per serving: 34 calories; 0 g protein; 0 g fat; 9
g carbohydrates; 5 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.