Basic Divinity with Variations
Yield: 1 1/2 pounds
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped candied cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup nut halves (instead of chopped nuts)
- 6 tablespoons water instead of the 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons preserved-ginger syrup
- 1/2 cup finely diced ginger
- Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a small amount of mixture forms a firm ball when dropped in cold water (248 degrees F).
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Pour about half the syrup slowly over whites, beating constantly. Cook remainder until a small amount forms hard threads in cold water (272 degrees F). Add slowly to first mixture, and beat until mixture holds its shape.
- Add vanilla extract and nuts; drop by dessert-spoonsful onto wax paper, or spread in a buttered 9 inch square pan, and when firm, cut into squares.
Holiday Divinity: Follow Basic Divinity instructions, adding candied cherries and pineapple with the nuts.
Chocolate Divinity: Follow Basic Divinity iinstructions, adding chocolate and nuts with vanilla extract after beating; then beat until well blended.
Ginger Divinity: Follow Basic Divinity iinstructions, using the 6 tablespoons water instead of 1/2 cup water and ginger syrup for the liquid. Add diced ginger with the nuts.