Brown Sugar Divinity
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- Combine sugars and water in a heavy saucepan. Place over low heat and stir until sugar is dissolved, then stir in corn syrup. Bring mixture to a boil; cover pan and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook without stirring to 252 degrees F (hard ball stage).
- While syrup is cooking, in a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt to stiff peaks.
- As soon as the syrup reaches hard ball stage pour it in a steady stream into egg whites, beating constantly with an electric mixer at high speed. Continue beating until the mixture begins to lose its gloss and it is stiff enough to hold its shape when dropped.
- Quickly stir in vanilla extract.
- Drop by teaspoonsful onto wax paper.
- Cool completely, and store in a covered container.