Chocolate Divinity Kisses
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces baking chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 48 milk chocolate kisses (8 ounce package), unwrapped
- Combine sugar, salt, corn syrup and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 260 degrees F or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water separates into threads which feel hard but not brittle (soft crack stage).
- When sugar reaches 246 degrees F, beat egg whites in large mixer bowl until stiff peaks form.
- When syrup reaches soft crack stage, gradually pour in a thin stream into egg whites, beating at high speed on mixer.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until candy begins to hold its shape.
- Quickly blend in baking chocolate; stir in nuts.
- Quickly drop from teaspoon onto wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Divinity should be about the size of walnuts.)
- Gently press a milk chocolate kiss on top of each piece.
- Store in an airtight container.