Angelica is a native European herb whose stalks are candied in sugar syrup when they are green. It is available at specialty food stores.
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff but not dry
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped
- About 18 red candied cherries, halved
- About 18 green candied cherries or pieces of angelica, chopped
- In a saucepan, mix the sugar, corn syrup, salt and water. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Continue cooking, without stirring, until it reaches the firm-ball stage (248 degrees F).
- Beating constantly, pour about half of the syrup over the egg whites.
- Cook the remainder of the syrup until it reaches the soft-crack stage (272 degrees F).
- Add the cooked syrup to the egg-white syrup, beating until the mixture holds its shape.
- Add the vanilla extract and the nuts.
- Drop tablespoonsful onto sheets of wax paper.
- Decorate the divinity with the red cherry halves and the chopped green cherries or angelica.
- Let the divinity stand until it is firm.