Yield: about 1 pound
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put brown sugar, water and vinegar into a saucepan. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Cook to the firm ball stage (244 degrees F).
- Meanwhile, beat egg white until stiff but not dry.
- Pour syrup slowly over the egg white, beating until creamy.
- Add nuts or coconut and vanilla extract.
- Drop by teaspoonsful on wax paper or spread in an 8 inch square buttered pan and cut into squares.