Divinity (with variations)
Yield: 48 candies (1 per serving).
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- Cook sugar, corn syrup and water (use 1 tablespoon less water on humid days) in 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring to 260 degrees F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball that holds its shape but is pliable.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. (For best results, use electric stand mixer, not a portable handheld mixer because total beating time is about 6 minutes and mixture is thick.) Continue beating while pouring hot syrup in a thin stream into egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed.
- Add vanilla extract. Beat until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull. (If mixture becomes too stiff for mixer, continue beating with wooden spoon.)
- Fold in nuts. Quickly drop mixture from buttered spoon onto waxed paper.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 4 hours, but no longer than 12 hours, until candies feel firm and dry to the touch.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Divinity is a divine candy. To add your final touch, indulge in one of these variations:
Cherry-Almond: Add 1/2 cup chopped candied cherries; use almond extract instead of the vanilla extract.
Peppermint: Add 1/2 cup crushed hard peppermint candies and, if desired,2 or 3 drops of red food color.
Chocolate-Mint: Add 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 2 drops green food color and 1/4 teaspoon mint extract.
Making divinity can be a little tricky, but it helps if you start with the spoonful test. Drop a spoonful of the divinity mixture onto wax paper. If it
stays in a mound, it has been beaten long enough. If the mixture flattens out, beat another 30 seconds and check again.
If the mixture is too stiff to spoon, beat in a few drops of hot water until a softer consistency is reached.
Per serving:: 69 Calories; 1g Fat (13.9% calories from fat); trace Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 8mg Sodium
Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.