- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup light Karo syrup
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put water, Karo syrup, sugar and salt in a 3-quart saucepan. Clip a candy
thermometer to the side of the saucepan. Cook to the soft-ball stage (234 degrees
- Add 1/2 of the hot syrup, a tablespoon at a time, to well-beaten egg whites,
beating constantly. Continue cooking remaining syrup until it reaches the hard-crack
stage (270 degrees F).
- Pour into egg mixture and continue beating until high gloss changes to dull.
- Fold in pecans and vanilla extract and drop by the spoonful on wax paper.
Have boiling water ready in case candy sets up too fast. Add 2 or 3 drops to
make it creamy as it is spooned onto wax paper.
- Makes 48 pieces.