Honey Almond Divinity
- 1 1/4 cups almonds, blanched, peeled and cut into coarse shreds
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Roast shredded almonds at 250 degrees F for about 20 minutes, or until they are light brown.
- In a saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, 1/2 cup of the water, the corn syrup and the honey. Stirring, cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan, then cook this syrup without stirring until it has reached the firm-ball stage (357 degrees F).
- While the syrup is cooking, combine remaining sugar and water in another saucepan, and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. While this mixture boils, pour the sugar-honey syrup slowly over the beaten egg whites, beating constantly during the addition. Continue beating until the sugar-water syrup in the second saucepan reaches the hard-ball stage (225 degrees F).
- Pour this hot syrup into the mixture of sugar, honey and egg, and beat until the candy does not stick to your finger when you gently touch the surface.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and almonds, and pour the candy into a lightly buttered 12 x 8-inch pan.
- When it is cold, cut the candy into 1 inch squares.