Peanut Butter Divinity Slices
Yield: about 48 pieces
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- In a buttered 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to boiling. Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture reaches the hard-ball stage, or until candy thermometer registers 260 degrees F. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Meanwhile, in large mixer bowl, beat egg whites, at medium speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually pour hot syrup over egg whites, beating constantly at high speed of mixer.
- Add vanilla extract; beat for 4 to 5 minutes until candy holds its shape.
- On towel dusted generously with confectioners' sugar, quickly pat candy into a 10 x 4 inch rectangle. Dust quickly with more confectioners' sugar. Using a rolling pin dusted with confectioners' sugar, roll candy to a 16 x 6 inch rectangle. Spread Jif over candy to within 1/2 inch of the long sides. Roll up from opposite side, using towel to help roll.
- Wrap in towel; chill.
- To serve, cut into slices slightly less than 1/2 inch thick.
- Store candy wrapped in refrigerator.