As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 or 3 drops red food coloring
- 1/3 cup finely crushed peppermint stick candy
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with wax paper. Butter paper and
sides of pan well.
- In heavy medium-size saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.
Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Then cook, without
stirring, until temperature reaches 260 degrees F (hard ball stage).
- Just before that temperature has been reached, beat egg whites with mixer
- Slowly pour in hot syrup in a thin stream, beating constantly.
- Add vanilla extract and continue beating until mixture just begins to hold
its shape when dropped from a spoon onto wax paper.
- Pour half of mixture into prepared pan.
- Quickly stir peppermint extract, food coloring and crushed candy by hand
into remaining candy. Do not over-mix or candy will get stiff and crumbly. Spoon
tinted candy as evenly as possible into pan on top of white candy.
- Let stand at room temperature until set and cooled, then cover and chill.
- To serve, loosen candy from sides of pan and invert. Remove wax paper and
slice thinly. Cut slices in halves or thirds, as desired.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Divinity Recipes