Raspberry Divinity Squares
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 egg whites
- 1 small box raspberry flavor gelatin
- 2/3 cup chopped, blanched almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- An electric stand mixer is required for this candy since a portable hand mixer might not be powerful enough to beat the thick mixture.
- Line a 12 x 8 inch (2 quart) baking dish with foil so that foil extends over sides of dish. Butter foil.
- In a 2 quart microwave-safe measuring cup, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Microwave on HIGH for 17 to 18 minutes, or until microwave candy thermometer reaches 260 degrees F (hard ball stage), stirring twice during cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add gelatin, beating until egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Pour syrup mixture in steady THIN stream over egg whites, beating at high speed until mixture holds it's shape, about 3 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in almonds and almond extract.
- Spread evenly in buttered, foil lined dish.
- Let stand at room temperature until completely cool and set, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1 inch squares. (Dip knife into hot water if necessary to minimize sticking.)
- Store in airtight container in cool, dry place.
Source: Pillsbury Family Christmas Cookbook